Silent Valley National Park is a beautiful representation of the last remaining rain forest of Kerala. Historically it’s a paradigm of people’s movement to protect the forest. Silent Valley was declared as National Park in 1984 and formally inaugurated in the year 1985. Initially there was only 89.52 sq.km. area under the Division which forms the core zone of the National Park. In 2007, an area of 148 sq.km. was added to this Division as buffer zone. In 1914, Silent Valley forests were declared as Reserved Forest. Till 1921, Silent Valley was part of South Malabar Forest Division with headquarters at Nilambur. During 1921, it came under control of Palakkad Forest Division and managed so until 1988.